Current:Home > InvestPrince Harry was not unfairly stripped of UK security detail after move to US, judge rules -Elite Financial Minds
Prince Harry was not unfairly stripped of UK security detail after move to US, judge rules
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 04:11:46
LONDON — Prince Harry was not improperly stripped of his publicly funded security detail during visits to Britain after he gave up his status as a working member of the royal family and moved to the U.S., a London judge ruled Wednesday.
Justice Peter Lane said in the High Court that the decision to provide security to Harry on a case-by-case basis was not unlawful, irrational or unjustified.
The Duke of Sussex claimed he and his family were endangered when visiting the U.K. because of hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless hounding by news media.
His lawyer argued that the government group that evaluated Harry’s security needs acted irrationally and failed to follow its own policies that should have required a risk analysis of the duke’s safety.
A government lawyer said Harry had been treated fairly and was still provided protection on some visits, citing a security detail that guarded him in June 2021 when he was chased by photographers after attending an event with seriously ill children at Kew Gardens in west London.
The committee that made the decision to reject his security request considered the wider impact that the “tragic death” of his mother, the late Princess Diana, had on the nation, and in making its decision gave greater weight to the “likely significant public upset were a successful attack” on her son to happen, attorney James Eadie said.
Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, has broken ranks with royal family tradition in his willingness to go to court to challenge both the government and take on tabloids in his effort to hold publishers accountable for hounding him throughout his life.
The lawsuit was one of six cases Harry has brought in the High Court. Three were related to his security arrangements and three have been against tabloid publishers for allegedly hacking phones and using private investigators to snoop on his life for news stories.
Prince Harry wins,settles phone hacking lawsuit, will continue 'mission' of taking on press
In his first case to go to trial, Harry won a big victory last year against the publisher of the Daily Mirror over phone hacking allegations, winning a judgment in court and ultimately settling remaining allegations that were due to go to trial. While the settlement was undisclosed, he was to be reimbursed for all his legal fees and was due to receive an interim payment of 400,000 pounds ($505,000).
He recently withdrew a libel case against the Daily Mail over an article that said he tried to hide his efforts to continue receiving government-funded security. Harry dropped the case after a judge ruled he was more likely to lose at trial because the publisher could show that statements issued on his behalf were misleading and that the February 2022 article reflected an “honest opinion” and wasn’t libelous.
Harry failed to persuade a different judge last year that he should be able to privately pay for London’s police force to guard him when he comes to town. A judge denied that offer after a government lawyer argued that officers shouldn’t be used as “private bodyguards for the wealthy.”
Prince Harrywins 'widespread and habitual' phone hacking lawsuit against British tabloid
veryGood! (53)
Related
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Upgrade your home theater with these TV deals on LG, Samsung, Fire TV and more
- Family mistakenly held at gunpoint by Texas police say the stop traumatized the kids in the car
- AP Week in Pictures: North America
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Hyundai, Kia recall over 90,000 vehicles over oil-pump fire risk
- Georgia man posed as missionary, spent $30 million donated for Bibles, feds say
- The one glaring (but simple) fix the USWNT needs to make before knockout round
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- In Niger, US seeks to hang on to its last, best counterterrorist outpost in West Africa
Ranking
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Cleanup from chemical spill and fire that shut down I-24 in Tennessee could take days
- Star soprano Anna Netrebko sues Met Opera over its decision to cut ties over Russia-Ukraine war
- Man survives being stabbed through the head with a flagpole, police say
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Bachelor Nation's Amanda Stanton Is Pregnant, Expecting First Baby With Husband Michael Fogel
- Tim McGraw Reveals His Daughters Only Want to Sing With Mom Faith Hill
- Hearts, brains and bones: Stolen body parts scandal stretches from Harvard to Kentucky
Recommendation
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
The Latest Hoka Sneaker Drop Delivers Stability Without Sacrificing Comfort
Oklahoma man pleads guilty to threating to kill DeSantis, other Republican politicians
The one glaring (but simple) fix the USWNT needs to make before knockout round
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
Game maker mashes up Monopoly and Scrabble for 'addicting' new challenge: What to know
Idaho student murders suspect Bryan Kohberger reveals alibi claim in new court filing
Teenager charged after throwing gas on a bonfire, triggering explosion that burned 17